Science & Society Leadership AwardA substantial scholarship opportunity for Duke Master of Arts in Bioethics, Tech Ethics & Science Policy applicants. About the MA Program How to Apply for the Scholarship
Science & Society awards outstanding candidates substantial scholarships to the Master of Arts in Bioethics & Science Policy program each year. Science & Society Leadership Awards are presented to applicants who demonstrate the greatest potential to become leaders in making scientific or technological advancements more accessible, just, and better integrated into society.
Guidelines for S&S Leadership Award
What qualities and accomplishments does Duke look for in S&S Leadership Award candidates?
Successful candidates are role models with an extraordinary desire to apply science and technology to address today’s most pressing problems. Applicants should have a strong capacity to understand the scientific, ethical, and policy issues arising from advances in science and technology. While a previous degree in science is not required, students must demonstrate an intuitive grasp of evolving technologies and have demonstrated leadership in an effort to address social issues through the use of science.
Applicants must possess the following qualities:
- Academic Excellence: Exceptional promise in the pursuit of scientific knowledge and understanding, as demonstrated through academic achievement, rigor, and intellectual hunger.
- Collaboration: Desire and commitment to productive and constructive collaboration with others.
- Service: Commitment to science in the service of society.
- Openness: Interest in learning from others, gathering multiple perspectives, and standing outside of their comfort zone.
- Potential for leadership: As evidenced by past leadership, interpersonal skills, and commitment to larger social concerns.
How do I apply for the S&S Leadership Award?
You must submit your completed application for the Duke MA in Bioethics & Science Policy to the Duke Graduate School, including your GRE or MCAT scores, transcripts and three letters of recommendation by March 19th.
In addition, you must submit an essay (no greater than 500 words) explaining how your achievements and personal attributes demonstrate the qualities to become a leader in science and society. This essay should be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “2021 S&S Leadership Award Essay” by March 19th.
What is the S&S Leadership Award decision process?
Our admissions and scholarship team, comprised of leading faculty and bioethics scholars, will give careful consideration to every application we receive. The top candidates will be contacted for interviews.
We will announce our selection of Award Recipients by March 31, 2021. Award Recipients must commit to accepting the award no later than April 16, 2021.
Other qualified applicants will be eligible for admission to the program and for consideration of both merit and need-based financial assistance.
March 19th – Complete applications for the Duke MA in Bioethics & Science Policy and Duke S&S Leadership Award including:
- Complete Application to the Graduate School for the MA in Bioethics & Science Policy, including:
- Official college transcript
- GRE or MCAT test scores
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Submit Essay on your qualifications for the Award directly to email@example.com
March 31st – Scholarship decision announced
April 16th – Award Recipients acceptance and commitment to attend in the Fall 2021 semester